Social Icons

Monday 25 March 2013

Antarctice - my experiences


While on summer holidays in Australia, we may sometimes think of going to a cooler climate to escape the summer heat; maybe even further south than Tasmania. Antarctica is the vast continent lying remote and at the end of the Earth being the last remaining wilderness. It consists of a magnificent polar plateau, vast mountain ranges and expanses of permanent ice four kilometres deep. It is now possible to go to Antarctica by air or sea for any adventurous traveller.

The easiest way to get there is to fly in the air conditioned comfort of a Qantas jet. From Sydney to Antarctica and back is just over thirteen hours flying time and you cover nearly 10,500 kilometres, which constitutes the world's longest domestic flight. There is much to see as the plane passes over the South Magnetic Pole, CapeHudson, Mawson's Hut at CommonwealthBay, the Metz Glacier, the AdmiraltyRanges, CapeAdare, giant icebergs, seals, penguins and sometimes you can spot an albatross. Prices range from about $1500 to $3000. Lunch, dinner and wine are served to all passengers. The New Year's flight is the best as there is a party on board with champagne but I travelled there the more exciting way down the coast of Chile abd across land by bus and ferry into Argentin and bus to Ushuia to go on an exhilirating ride across the Beagle channel to experience Antarctice first hand.Passing icebergs and accompanied by dolphins who surfed the bow of the ship and albatross gliding overhead, I felt that I had truly reached what is known as the "End of the World" InUshuia thedre is a range of accomodation ranging for family run guest houses where they rent a room to a traveller and you share their kitchen and bathroom facilities, to more luxurious hotels, or you could stay in a friendly backpackers like I did where I met other fellow travellers and adventurers. It was great to share their experiences of making their way around Patagonia or travelling to the edge of Antarctica. Before going so far south I bought warm clothes at the markets in Puerto Madryn, including a coat with hood made of alpacha wool.Underneath that I wore a t shirt, polo neck, warm shirt and pullover. I had thick underwear and windproof trousers to keep out any cold and dampness. My attire ensured that I kept warm.

from the book "Travel in a chaning world" available for under $10 from my website www.lifestylerenewal.com where you can find full details of the content of all my books.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blogger Templates